Last winter I stumbled across the Funky Monkey quilt pattern. I decided at pretty much first glance that I wanted to make it. My sister likes sock monkeys so it seemed like it would be a good fit for a quilt for my nephew. I think the quilt might have been designed to be a wall hanging (it is meant to be 26" x 30"). I decided to make it bigger because I wanted it to be a functional quilt so I enlarged the quilt a bit. I like the Moda fabrics that the quilt was designed for, but they weren't available locally. I wanted to be able to buy the fabric locally so I decided to play with texture a bit. The applique is all made from flannel and the backgrounds are made from quilting cottons. At first, I was disappointed that I couldn't find fabric that mimics the look of a sock monkey, but I really like how the flannel feels. It was lots of fun to see the quilt take shape as I added the applique pieces. I quilted in the ditch and around the appliqued pieces because I didn't want to obscure the sock monkey at all. I was worried that the batting might shift too much with so little quilting so I added some quilting lines radiating out from the monkey. I found a fun monkey print flannel for the back of the quilt. I really like the orange and turquoise color combination. I'm glad I went with fabric that I could buy locally.