Thursday, September 30, 2010

Rag Quilt Letters

My favorite project this month has been making rag quilt letters following the tutorial from Happy Together.  It was a great way to get practice using the walking foot attachment for my sewing machine.  I used denim from worn out jeans and fabric remnants to back the letters.  I used fleece for the padding and quilting cotton for the top layer.  I quilted them fairly densely to ensure that they would be nice and firm.  I love the way they feel.  I look forward to making a set of lowercase letters and numbers someday soon.




I think they will be fun for a long time.  The recipient's momma has some great ideas of how to play with them.  It was a great project.  It allowed me to re-purpose things and use small amounts of materials that I love.  I'll definitely be making more!

3 comments:

  1. Those are adorable! Maybe I will have to make some for my boys.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What is a walking foot exactly? Love the letters!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Emily, it was a really fun project! I highly recommend it! It was a great way to use up little pockets of crafty time.

    JK a walking foot feeds fabric from the top and bottom. It does a nice job of keeping multiple layers, thick or heavy fabrics, and slippery fabrics from shifting when you sew them together.

    ReplyDelete