Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Advent Calendars

I love using Advent calendars to count down to Christmas.  We always had Advent calendars when I was growing  up.  When I went away to college my mother sent me a piece of Advent mail every day in December.  I loved knowing that there would be something special in my mail box for me.

Last year I made an Advent calendar from a tutorial shared on Sew Mama Sew.  It was a fun project.  I was quite pleased with the finished project.  When I started to fill the calendar, I realized that the pockets were too small to hold most of the items I had gathered.  I didn't want to choose smaller items because they were gifts for a baby.

This year rather than have an Advent calendar with a pile of gifts next to it, I decided to make one with bigger pockets.  I thought about modifying an over the door shoe holder, but I never found one locally that seemed like it would be perfect.  I decided  that I would look for something perfect until September.  I didn't find a pattern or shoe holder that I really liked, so I decided to try making something reminiscent of a shoe holder.

I think this was the most complicated thing I've ever made without a pattern or tutorial to follow.  It was great fun to see it take shape. I loved seeing it come together and getting a bit more confidence as each step was finished that it would be a functional calendar.  It looks like the pockets are a perfect size for gifts for toddlers.  I really like it!  I may decide to make another that allows for different sized pockets to allow for gifts of various sizes.  I like the idea of a pocket for pajamas on Christmas Eve.

Advent calendar before stuffing

Advent calendar full of toddler gifts


I decided to make pleated pockets so they could expand to hold thick gifts if need be.  I used printable fabric for the numbers.  I'm excited to see what it looks like in use!   

I'm excited to be almost done with Advent already.  Last year I was filling the calendar as December progressed.  This year I have 23 gifts wrapped and ready to go already.  Do you celebrate Advent?  If so, how do you celebrate?




13 comments:

  1. I love advent calendars and this one is super cute!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it! It would be fun to have one with pockets large enough for small gifts. Maybe I'll add that to my to-do list for next year. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very cute! Love the fabric combination.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you sooo much for linking up to inspire other twelve crafts' readers in coming up with their own traditions!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are an unbelievable crafter! It looks even cooler in person! I will post a picture on EPL when we have it up! Thank you!
    www.eatplaylaughoften.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really like this post! I would love for you to come over and link up at my Strut Your Stuff Party that started tonight! http://danajeanward.blogspot.com/2010/11/link-party-giveaway-and-another-winner.html

    ReplyDelete
  7. Will you post a tutorial &/or dimensions of your pockets & size of the completed project? I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Mary, I'll do a tutorial at some point after Christmas.

    ReplyDelete