Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Merry Christmas!

I'm enjoying the Christmas season.  I sure hope you are as well!  I still have a few gifts that need to be finished.  I should easily be able to be finished by Epiphany.  I've been waiting to show off the doll I made for Christmas.   I had a hard time choosing what kind of doll to make for my 15 month old nephew.  I wanted a doll with fabric hair and clothing that was sewn right on the body.  I did a lot of pattern searching before settling on modifying the Black Apple Doll Pattern.  I really love the pattern as it is presented, but I wanted a little boy doll so some modification was in order. 

His hair is made from fleece.  His face, hands, and feet are made from flannel.  His shirt is made from a velour  shirt that my grandfather used to wear quite a bit.  His pants are made from a chambray work shirt that my grandfather often wore.  I modified the pattern to add hands and feet, make the arms a bit wider, make the legs much wider, and divide the dress into shirt and pants.  It was fun to make.

10 comments:

  1. He turned out wonderfully! I'm sure he'll be loved.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks. He'll be loved, even if just by me. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. He's beautiful!

    Is Epiphany and Three Kings Day the same thing? We celebrate Three Kings Day (Dia de los Reyes) with out kids as a tradition my husband grew up with in Puerto Rico.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't think I'll ever get tired of these dolls. I hope he liked him. Thanks for linking up.
    Kalleen

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have made a black apple doll before and it never dawned on me to make it into a boy, great idea, and he is super cute! great job

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really love that little guy. I've been wanting to make one of girls.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I was just planning on making a boy version of this doll. Thanks for sharing, I am not sure I would have thought to widen the legs. It is a great doll.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love that you made a little boy ... I've done Black Apple Dolls for two of my girls and I just love them. Your boy is too cute!

    Visiting from At Second Street.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love this! I wish I was talented enough to modify my own patterns, but I am such a beginner. This is super cute!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Cute! I like the changes you made...especially your fabric choices. I'm sure it's very huggable.

    ReplyDelete