Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Easter Basket

My nephew will be attending an Easter egg hunt this year, so I thought it would be fun to make him a basket.

I thought that a one-year-old at an Easter egg hunt might get a little wild  so I figured that a soft basket would be the way to go. 

I made a basic fabric basket stiffened with a layer of craft weight interfacing and a layer of fusible fleece.
The basket was still a little floppy so I cut a piece of boning a few inches longer than the circumference of the circle and inserted it in the opening at the rim (the opening was left after I sewed the lining and outer fabric together so I could turn the project right way out).  I overlapped the edges of the boning.  Next, I stitched the opening closed.  Finally I machined stitched as close as I could to the boning to hold it in place. 
I added the handle after the base of the basket was complete.  The handle is stiffened with timtex. I sewed a band of ribbon around the basket to hide where I had sewn on the handles. 


I'd love to make an Easter bucket when he's a bit older.  Do you have any Easter projects in the works?  I'd love to hear what you're working on!

2 comments:

  1. A confession? It took me nine years before I made Christmas stockings. If I'm lucky (and organised - YIKES), it'll just be a bit more for the Easter baskets!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think of making things for the kiddos in my life as a way to spend time with them. I don't get the opportunity to see them often so crafting for them is a nice substitute. I'm sure if I have my own children I won't be likely to make as many projects.

    ReplyDelete