Friday, August 19, 2011

Dyed Onesie Tutorial

I wanted to dye some of Bug's onesies pink for Ladybug to wear.  The dye I chose wasn't as vibrant as I'd hoped so I wanted to brighten up some of the onesies that I had dyed.

I used doilies as a resist for sprayed dye.  It was lots of fun!  I wonder if anybody else would like to give it a try.


Materials - onesie (or other item to dye), dye (I like Tulip One Step Dye), spray bottle, freezer paper, tape, plastic bag

1.  Most dye works best when fabric has been washed and dried without fabric softener.
2.  Dyeing can be messy.  I like to protect my work table by taping down freezer paper with the shiny side up.
3.  If I am going to be dyeing multiple items I like to tape a plastic bag down to this surface so I can have a clean surface for each item I dye.
4.  I place some folded freezer paper inside the onesies to make them easier to work with and to ensure that the dye would not bleed through.
5. Place a doily or other resist to the onesie. 

6.  Prepare dye as instructed and pour into a spray bottle.  I used screwed my sprayer onto my dye bottle.  If that won't work for you it is probably best to mix the dye and then pour it.  Spray the onesie with dye.
7.  Remove the doily and let the dye sit for an hour or so (if you have directions with your dye follow them) before rinsing out.  

I like the result.  I'm excited to try using other things as resists.  I think it would be fun to try lace, netting, berry baskets, and tape.   What would you use as a resist?

4 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness! So cute! I love this idea. Ladybug will certainly like it! She still fits into NB but is wearing 0-3 mo now too. so don't do too much NB for her b/c I'm afraid she won't get enough wear out of them...

    You are so creative!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so sweet, what a great idea! Thanks for the tips!

    Brie from Darling Doodles

    ReplyDelete
  3. That turned out so cute! You have a darling little one! I'm so glad yo linked up with us at Show & Share!

    Marie
    mylilpinkpocket.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is amazing! I am so impressed you were able to achieve such an adorable outcome! Great job! Thanks for sharing @ Show & Share! Hope you'll come back this week!

    ReplyDelete