Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Washcloth bib tutorial

I made some washcloth bibs this morning. They are one of my favorite projects to make for babies. I thought it would be nice to re-post the tutorial that I wrote for them last year.

Bibs may be necessary for babies in their constantly drooling stage, but that shouldn't mean that they have sacrifice style.  One of my favorite wear all day bibs is the washcloth bib. They are inexpensive, quick, and easy to make.


Supplies
  • One washcloth - this will make two bibs 
  • A piece of bias tape about a foot long 
  • About an inch of velcro
  • Thread - I like it to match the bias tape 
  • General sewing supplies
I like to use washcloths without decorate borders.  When choosing a washcloth fold in half diagonally to  see if you like the way it looks.

Step 1 cut the washcloth in half diagonally



Step 2 fold washcloth in half so the finished edges are touching

Step 3 cut a slight curve - this helps improve the fit of the bib

Step 4 cut a piece of bias tape a bit longer than the cut edge of the washcloth


Step 5 pin the bias tape to the cut edge of the washcloth - taking care to fold under the bias tape at the beginning and end so there aren't any raw edges - if you have a preferred method of attaching bias tape use your preferred method.

Step 6 attach the bias tape - I use a wide zig zag stitch so I'm sure to catch the front and back at the same time


Step 7 Attach velcro  - I sew around the square of velcro and then sew an x to make sure it is really secure. Notice the placement of the velcro on square on the left top one on the right back

 Step 8 Round the edges of the velcro to get rid of any pointy edges

Enjoy the fact that your wee ones can be cute and dry! They're fun to make!  I'd love to see yours if you make any.  Please let me know if you run into any difficulties with this tutorial.


3 comments:

  1. This is such a great idea!! And so useful!! Thanks!
    And thanks for linking up to Southern Lovely's Show & Share!! Hope to see you tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A boy has to be stylish ya know. I'm hoping to figure out how to make it a bit girly for his little sister.

    ReplyDelete