Monday, February 27, 2012

Easter Egg Hunt Bag

I thought it would be fun to make Bug an Easter egg hunt bag that would match his Easter basket. I made a square bottomed tote bag.  I learned to make lined tote bags by following this tutorial.  I used one long strap so it can be worn like a messenger bag.  I thought it would be fun for the top to be open like it would for a basket.  To ensure the top would remain open I added some boning to a casing made from leftover lining fabric.


It was easy to make the casing.
 I cut a strip of fabric three inches wide by twice the width of the bag plus two inches. 
I folded the strip in half right sides together to make a long skinny tube. 
I sewed one short side and the long side of the tube shut.
I turned the tube inside out and ironed it flat.
I measured about an inch and a half from the top of the outer bag and attached the tube beginning with the short end that had been sewn shut.  There should be a bit of an overlap.
I inserted the boning into the tube and cut it so it just fit inside the tube.
I slip stitched the opening shut.  
Because the boning is overlapped a bit it stays open nicely.

I'm hoping it won't look too much like a purse.  I'm thinking about adding an applique to make it a bit more boyish.  Does anybody have any suggestions?

I Heart Nap Time



1 comment:

  1. I love that you used boning at the top! That's excellent!

    ReplyDelete